Home  /  Businesses  /  Researcher Application Information

Researcher Application Information

General information for research applications is provided below. However, OMMA is currently not accepting research applications. Complete information and instructions for research applications will be available at a later date.

Research license applicants must also register with the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control (OBNDD) after receiving a research license and before any marijuana is at the research site. This is required by law as stated in 63 O.S. §§ 2-101 & 2-302 and OAC 475:10-1-9(a).

For more information, contact OBNDD registration department at (405) 521-2885 or visit the OBNDD Registration Website.

What is a marijuana research license?

A marijuana research license allows the licensee to produce, process, transport, and possess marijuana solely for research purposes. Individuals, organizations, agencies, and business entities may apply for a research license.

What are the requirements for a research license?

  • Applicants must be 25 years of age or older.
  • Individual applicants must be Oklahoma residents.
  • Members, managers, and board members of entity applicants must be Oklahoma residents.
  • Entities must show at least 75% ownership held by Oklahoma residents.
  • All applicants must show they are registered to conduct business in Oklahoma by providing a certificate of good standing from the Oklahoma Secretary of State, if applicable.
  • All principal investigators involved in the research project must provide a background check; nonviolent felony convictions in the last two years and any other felony conviction in the last five years for any owner will disqualify the applicant.

Proof of Oklahoma residency can be established by providing a digital, color copy of one of the following documents:

  • Oklahoma driver’s license (front and back)
  • Oklahoma identification card (front and back)
  • Oklahoma voter identification card
  • A utility bill for the calendar month preceding the date of application, excluding cellular telephone and internet bills
  • A residential property deed to property in the State of Oklahoma
  • A current rental agreement for residential property located in the State of Oklahoma

Proof of identity can be established by providing a digital, color copy of one of the following:

  • Oklahoma driver’s license (front and back)
  • Oklahoma identification card (front and back)
  • U.S. passport or other photo identification issued by the U.S government
  • Tribal identification card approved for identification purposes by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety: 
    • United States Bureau of Indian Affairs identification card or a Oklahoma tribal photo identification cards: Muscogee (Creek) Nation of Oklahoma, Kiowa, Comanche, Apache of Oklahoma, Absentee Shawnee, Cheyenne-Arapaho, Choctaw, Delaware, Caddo Nation of Oklahoma issued on or after January 8, 2008.

Each owner is required to supply an Affidavit of Lawful Presence Form and supporting documentation if he or she is not a U.S. citizen.

Monthly consumption reporting to the OMMA will be required for all research licensees.

What is a medical marijuana transportation license?

A medical marijuana transportation license will be provided with an approved research license. A transportation license is in the form of a notation on the research license and allows an individual/entity to legally transport medical marijuana with a copy of the license.

Licensed transporters may legally transport medical marijuana from a licensed grower, licensed processor, or licensed dispensary to an approved research site. Licensed transporters must comply with Title 63 O.S. § 420A et seq. and the Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 310:681.