A research facility license authorizes the licensee to grow, cultivate, possess, and transfer to other licensed research facilities and licensed testing laboratories, by sale or donation, marijuana for the limited research purposes approved in the application.
You are here
Researcher & Education Application Information
Research Facility and Education Facility Application Information
Important Notes for Research and Education Facility Applicants
- Every applicant must supply a project description in the application. Please review the
- Biomedical and clinical regulations subject to federal regulations and institutional oversight are NOT subject to OMMA licensure or regulations.
- By law, education facility applicants MUST be a non-profit and are required to provide non-profit registration with the application.
- Research facility applicants, if a private business, must supply
- Research and education facility applicants who are utilizing public funds or working with public institutions must provide information and documentation of their involvement and meet additional criteria.
Frequently Asked Questions
An education facility license authorizes the licensee to provide training and education to individuals involving the cultivation, growing, harvesting, curing, preparing, packaging or testing of medical marijuana, or the production, manufacture, extraction, processing, packaging or creation of medical-marijuana-infused products or medical marijuana products for the limited education and research purposes approved in the application. Education facility licensees are authorized to transfer, by sale or donation, medical marijuana grown within its operation to licensed research licensees, and to transfer to licensed testing laboratories.
Applications and payment will be collected at omma.ok.gov. A valid email address is required for login. This email address will be used to send notices once an account is created.
Applicants should select “New Business License” and then select research facility or education facility for license type.
The application fee for a Research Facility and Education Facility is $500. Application fees will be paid by Visa, MasterCard, or Discover credit or debit card. An additional credit card processing fee will be added to the transaction. These application and processing fees are non-refundable. The payment will not be refunded for applications not approved.
- Project description – Please reference the
- Certificate of Compliance – All research facility and education facility applicants will be required to submit a business information page for more information on this process before submitting their application.
- Non-profit registration – All education facility applicants must supply non-profit registration with the Oklahoma Secretary of State.
- Residency Requirements – Research facility applicants that are privately owned (not a public institution) need to show proof of residency to establish that 75% of the owners are Oklahoma residents. Proof of Oklahoma residency can be established by providing a digital, color copy of one or more of the following documents:
- Oklahoma driver’s license
- Oklahoma identification card
- Oklahoma voter identification card
- Utility bills, excluding cellular telephone and internet bills
- A residential property deed to property in the State of Oklahoma
- A current rental agreement for residential property located in the State of Oklahoma
- Background checks and proof of identification – Background checks and proof of identification are required for either owners, principal officers (e.g., board members), or principal and co-principal investigators, depending on the applicant.
- Contracts and agreements – Applicants who are utilizing public funds or working with public institutions need to supply documentation of contract(s) and agreement(s) that show how public funds and/or public institutions are involved in the research.
Only research facility licensees are required to submit monthly reports. Check back on our website at omma.ok.gov for instructions.